Ilene Squires Photography

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The 12 Best Photos of 2012

2012 has been a year of great fortune not just for my business but also for me as a photographer. Having procured clients who are generous in spirit, I successfully booked and shot 125 projects! Yes, I've done the math and that equates to a very limited personal life, but having an interchangeable career and personal life make that distinction arbitrary. I love what I do and find myself documenting all the time, revealing stories anxious to be told. 

When I started my business 3 years ago, I dreamed of a long, successful career as a wedding photographer. Life is funny sometimes and I now receive 75% of my business from lifestyle and portraiture, my true photographic niche. Sometimes life chooses you instead of the other way around, so, if I have learned anything about entrepreneurship, it is that sometimes one must just buckle their seat belt and hold on for the ride. And oh, what a ride it's been!

Please help me celebrate the arrival of 2013 with the 12 Best Photos of 2012.

The first shoot of the year came out with a bang and I was commissioned to shoot the Dennes Family on NYC's first snowy day of 2012 in Central Park. 
In February I shot Al & Kate's Engagement photos in Chelsea and they were later featured in the New York Times Style Section!
Diana & Drey are not just clients, but also very good friends and I was flattered to be asked to shoot their maternity portraits in March. 
Shooting a destination wedding is every photographer's dream and I loved shooting this  Curacao wedding!
As the weather in New York began to break and spring rolled in with the afternoon breeze, my dear friends the Cimmiyotti's, commemorated nearly a decade in NYC and their move to California with a family shoot. This picture of Pablo is a favorite! 
By the time June rolled around I had grown accustomed to a seven day work week. Just when I thought I might lose my mind, I learned my Faces of Harlem Project (!) would be featured in the inaugural Harlem Arts Festival. Here was my promo piece created by the amazing, Yeri Yun Designs
My very best friend from childhood was expecting her second addition and we opted for a beautiful, timeless shoot on the exclusive Pt. Mugu Beach in July. What a busy month but this was my favorite shoot by far!
I spent most of August on a month long journey to Indonesia and Vietnam. Unfortunately (tsk, tsk!) I have not published any of my DSLR photos due to my workload upon return stateside. Here is my favorite Instagram photo from Bali.
Scott and Fio have shot with me twice now, both times to celebrate their anniversary. Their 2nd Anniversary West Village Shoot was as classic as it was romantic. 
The fall months were very, very busy with lots of weddings. First was Robbie & Katie's wedding at Mt. Gulian in Beacon, NY. 
Another favorite fall shoot was Dayna & Ryan's engagement in Harlem. SWOON! Timely as the iconic Lenox Lounge shuts its doors after five long decades. 
2012 ended with a bang and I couldn't feel more blessed to have a thriving, bi-coastal business. With a re branded website on the way (2/1/13, stay tuned!), sold out minisessions in NYC and another show at The Shrine, I'd like to close this post by sharing an image that exudes love and another favorite theme, urban renewal.  

The most refined works I've churned out are usually shot in my favorite neighborhoods and LouAnn & Roland's Fort Greene shoot is no exception. 
May this be a year of great prosperity to all my clients, fans, family and friends! Happy New Year! 

1 comment:

  1. Cheers to continued success!Much deserved.

    ReplyDelete