Ilene Squires Photography

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Studio Lighting | School Portraiture

In expanding my reportoire of skills, I took on my first project doing school photography last week. WHEW!, Is the only way to describe this production! We're talking roughly 250 portraits and 11 group portraits all the while, changing light situations with the use of strobes and umbrellas. Talk about a clinic in studio photography! Lots of lessons learned!

1.) Make sure you have the 12' seamless, not the 7' (absurd retouching costs have ensued!). Preferrably NOT in grey/white/black but in a blue or red hue. 
2.) Have the best darn photo assistant during set up, shooting and take down!
3.) Partner with a school liaison to negotiate timing and order of students; it's impossible without insider support!

Here's a photo my lovely assistant, Falcon, shot of me doing the individual portraits. It's a little fuzzy because of all that hairy, third party non - disclosure "stuff," schools sign. 


2 comments:

  1. Great post, Ilene! I'm so glad I was able to assist you, I definitely learned a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you explain and share everything thing you do... Awesome 'behind-the-scene" sneak peek!
    We thank you for it (I thank you for it. You are so inspiring).

    ReplyDelete