Ilene Squires Photography

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Brooklyn Wedding Photographer | Chris & Kate's Fort Greene Engagement Party

When I answered an ad a couple months back at ICP that Kate had posted for a "non traditional" wedding photographer, I had a good feeling about it. I don't usually have good luck with these sort of exchanges especially with the traffic ICP receives. I was a little tickled that Kate and her fiancee Chris had taken the time to look at my work, and in her initial outreach, made it a point to mention that. When she invited me to Brooklyn for lunch, I was certain about our partnership.

When I had lunch with Kate she mentioned not wanting engagement photos and instead invited me to their engagement party/ belated birthday shindig at a friend's Fort Greene brownstone. The space was ah-mazing, by the way. After all, they are part of a wide circle of BK architects. The event was a true labor of love with their nearest and dearest pitching in from homemade burgers to bacon wrapped dogs and key lime pie and bite-sized biscuit strawberry shortcake for dessert. It was a seemingly perfect event for Chris and Kate and their +1, Griff. Don't worry he's just a dog and will make a cameo appearance the day of their wedding.

After nearly a decade of writing their story together, Chris and Kate will tie the knot this October at Mt. Gulian Historic Site in the Hudson Valley. Courtships like theirs simply don't exist any more; ten long years, multiple cities and the growing pains of your twenties?! It must be love!

Before signing off, I have to make mention of one last thing that solidified the fate of Chris, Kate and I finding each other like a needle in a haystack. When I first arrived at the party, Kate asked if I had ever tried boiled peanuts. Yeah, yeah, I know Brooklynites are foodies and all, but I have never seen these anywhere except my Filipino family parties growing up. What a pleasant surprise to learn the happy couple spent a year moonlighting at Brooklyn Flea selling these! Congrats Chris and Kate!






















No comments:

Post a Comment