Ilene Squires Photography

Thursday, June 2, 2011

36 Hours in Portland, Maine

My husband, Jorge and I celebrated our one year anniversary this holiday weekend in Portland, Maine. Growing up in California has left me longing for the coastline I had only seen in movies so hitting up various New England cities is on my bucket list. 


Maine is known for it's world renown lobster and "summer" homes along it's notoriously rocky coast (also something foreign to inner California girl is using the word summer as a noun, verb and adjective!). Some must dos? We're total foodies so after a a little guidance from a local friend of mine, we dined at some of the best restaurants I've ever been to. Ever! Fore Street was a must as was 555, and if you do visit 555 you must have their Lobster Truffle Mac'n'Cheese. That's right, It sounds as it good as it tastes! Also try Portland Lobster Company, for the obligatory Lobster Roll. 


I'm privy to the outdoors after spending my childhood summers in caravans traveling from one west coast national park to another, so a little adventure was on our list. Walk the trail up to Eastern Promenade up to Back Cove which are both designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, the famous Central Park architect. Lastly, when you go down to the waterfront, hop on a little sunset cruise around the nearby (posh) islands. It's absolutely worth seeing how the elite summer.



















No comments:

Post a Comment